How do I get my computer to recognize a USB device
Why is My Computer not Recognizing USB Device? How Can I Fix It?
Trying to access your important data from a USB device to your computer and getting an error USB device not recognized? Then it means your computer is not recognizing the inserted USB device which is a very common thing among thousands of users. This problem may cause due to numerous technical issues and it is a complex thing to find the exact reason behind this issue. But you can fix the computer not recognizing USB device issue very easily after reading this article and following the step by step process.
Reasons behind Computer not Recognizing USB
There could be a long list of the reasons if your computer is not recognizing USB and some of them are given below:
- Due to the corrupted or fault USB drivers.
- Using outdated OS of your computer.
- Faulty USB drive or not compatible.
- Due to the virus, or malware in a USB drive.
- Corrupted USB controllers in computer.
Quick Methods to Fix Computer not Recognizing USB Issue
Method 1: Check if your USB device is turn on
When you connect your USB device to your computer, a flashlight blinks which means it is turned on and connected to your computer. But if there is no light is blinking, then you can connect it properly or try another port to ensure that there is no fault in the USB port of your computer.
Method 2: Run the Windows Troubleshooter
It is one of the best ways to resolve all sorts of software or hardware problems and you can also fix the computer not recognizing USB issue after running the Windows Troubleshooter through the below steps:
- Go to the Start menu at the bottom left of the screen.
- Open the Settings and then click on Control Panel.
- Search for Troubleshooter and then click on the Troubleshooting option.
- You can click on Hardware and Sound under the Configure a Device.
Now Windows Troubleshooter will start to detect a problem and if found then click on Apply this fix to resolve the deducted problem.
Method 3: Check the USB with another computer
You should check your USB by trying to connect it with the other computer as it can help you to recognize whether the problem is with your computer or USB device because fault computer or settings may also cause such sorts of issues.
Method 4: Update your OS
Sometimes an outdated Windows OS also cause plenty of technical issues and then you can simply update your OS through the below steps to resolve this issue:
- Click on the Start button and then open the Settings.
- Click on Update & Security section.
- On the left pane side, click on the Windows Update option.
- Click on Check for updates section.
- Now check for any available or pending updates and then follow the on-screen instructions to update your OS.
With the help of the above-given steps, you can fix the computer not recognizing USB device in a very simple and quick way. But if your USB device is still not detecting your computer, then you should contact the customer experts team for reliable assistance from the professionals.